Parents, Is Your Child's Life Dependent On Prizes & Awards In School?


A lot of beautiful pictures of children are visible on many parents' mobile phones as display pictures, on screen savers on their laptops, etc as they celebrate their children on the occasion of another End-of-academic session in schools. 


While some parents are celebrating their children's graduation from one stage to another, others are celebrating their children's exceptional academic performance especially with the collection of various prizes and awards. These are memories that would continue to linger in the minds of parents.

On the other hand, there are quite a number of parents who are particularly not excited about their children's performances because they were not prize-winners. Some have even gone ahead to express their disappointment in their children by shouting and screaming at the and metting out punishment of all sorts.

May I say at this juncture that it is natural for a parent to feel hurt when a child is not performing up to expectation, especially where the parent has done fairly well enough to support the child. 

However we must realise that the fact that a child receives prizes in primary or secondary school is not necessarily a measure of the child's future success. 

However, now that the holiday is here, parents are encouraged to create time to bond more with their children. Find out what the challenges of your children are and profer solutions to them. Encourage them. Reassure them of your continuous support and before you know it, they will bounce back.

Below are responses from various parents on this issue.

Parent 1.
Thanks so much for this piece. It's really touching. My son is doing well, at least he's one of d top 3 to 5 but my eyes are always set on d prize especially when he's crying for not getting an Award. It breaks my heart and makes me think i am not doing enough.

Parent 2.
Last night, my husband brought out a long cane (he doesn't beat but when he does?....) and threatened the kids that he would wait for them next term if they don't come home with any prize.......

Parent 3.
Oh my God you are God sent. I was fusing over my kids not getting 1st to 3rd even with average of over 95. This was beginning to tell on my emotions since afternoon. I was wandering why and feeling bad despite my efforts. You see God sent you to calm my nerves. I feel relieved and happy. THANK YOU FOR LETTING GOD USE YOU.

Parent 4.
You couldn't have picked a better time and topic. It went a long way to explain the situation to a friend. Thanks. We pray for utmost wisdom in order not to frustrate our kids because the truth is that it is not everyone can receive these awards/prizes.

Parent 5.
I must confess that one of my kids stayed home today bcos she wasn't collecting a prize and the school said that those students who are not collecting prizes shd not come to school. I felt bad and I asked my child how she felt and she was sad. I said well, I feel sad too but it means you have not done enough. You need to put more effort next session so that you will get a prize. You need to reduce play n work harder n she said ok and I left for work.

Parent 6.
I must agree despite all I know, being an educationist and all, I felt a bit dejected that my daughter who usually comes first, came third this term. I already knew she had a contender in a new girl who joined this session but I thought at worst she would come 2nd. But 3rd! I started thinking there was something I wasn't doing right. I concluded I need a lesson teacher next session.

My husband, who is not a teacher, is never flustered by prizes. He always says the performance is most important. I must admit, when I looked at her report card she did very well. Her performance was just as good as before. The margins must have been very small.

I wonder how my son feels. He is someone who takes his time at learning and isn't in d top 3 of the class. Maybe he doesn't fully understand yet. He's only 4 and just finished nursery 2. He is also very much like his dad who is unruffled by all such cares that we bother ourselves with.

Parent 7.

We should be more concerned about our children's all-round well being rather than positions. I have never liked schools that do position. It always take attention off details.


1 Response to "Parents, Is Your Child's Life Dependent On Prizes & Awards In School?"

  1. Whao! Thanks Bimztheory for reblogging this article. Really nice to know it is making a lot of impact. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Reading....Your Comments Are Always Welcome!

Thank you for your comments