Lets Encourage Teachers As We Mark World Teachers Day Today

 Yesterday on The City Kids Show that I host on radio, I informed the children that today, 5th of October 2014 is World Teachers Day. I asked them to tell me the name of their favorite teachers in school and why they like them and one common reason they said was because they don't beat them(Lol).

While that is okay, I drew their attention to the primary function of a teacher which is to impart knowledge to them and sometimes the need to enforce that learning with a little punishment now and then. Saying this, I had a flashback to my childhood when I was learning my Multiplication(times) table....boy was I flogged well till I learnt it by heart(Lol).

World Teachers Day is a day set aside by the United Nations since 1994 to celebrate and appreciate teachers worldwide. Teachers are an investment for the future of countries because they are the ones that help groom the leaders of tomorrow in their classrooms from kindergarten till university.

Unfortunately in some parts of the world, teachers are not being supported as well as they should be. In fact in Nigeria, a large percent of teachers are being poorly paid and not well taken care of, how then do we want them to add value to our children in this condition?

Because of this, so many people don't even want to take up the teaching profession and would rather do other jobs which they see as more lucrative. There is also the  challenge of quality as so many teachers are working without resources or proper training. 

With these increasing statistics there is a major risk of a global learning crisis with more than 250 million children not acquiring basic skills of reading and writing

In anyway we can, either directly or indirectly, let us try and appreciate and support teachers and I join the whole world today in saying Happy World Teachers Day to all teachers both far and near. May God continue to crown your efforts with success and as you continue to do your work earnestly, may you never grow weary.
 


0 Comment "Lets Encourage Teachers As We Mark World Teachers Day Today"

Post a Comment

Thank You For Reading....Your Comments Are Always Welcome!

Thank you for your comments