Whose Turn Is It To Die???



My son asked me sometime ago if people die everyday and without blinking I told him yes, but later I sat down to ponder deeply over this and realised it is just the simple truth.

Every day people die just like everyday people are born and the question that now comes to mind next is, whose turn is it to die? Me? you?(God forbid! I can hear you shout)

But then those people that died today, yesterday and even last week sure didn’t plan to die....I’m so sure they never even thought about it for a second.

Did gospel singer Kefee Obareki plan to die last week when she did? Heck no!!! Kefee was a young lady in her early thirties who was so full of energy and life.


I met her once at the Headies Awards in 2012 and even though she was petite in size I couldn’t help but notice her big hair (Lol...she always did love her big and full weaves didn’t she?)


Unfortunately last week Friday we heard the sad news that she had passed on from a coma she had slipped into about two weeks ago on a flight to Chicago. The news of her death was so unexpected that when I heard on social media I was even lambasting the rumour mongers (we all know social media has spread so many untruths don’t we?)

It hit me so hard I could feel a physical pain in my heart and I took to the internet to read up all I could about Kefee and then I realised that even though death seems to have done its worse, we owe it to Kefee to keep celebrating her even in death.

Why, you may be wondering ,Kefee had been doing gospel music for the past ten years and was actually a trailblazer of sorts who didn’t rest on her oars even when life dealt her a blow in terms of her messy divorce from her first husband, Alec Godwin in 2008.

She started singing at a very young age and wasn’t allowed into the church choir at that time because she was too young, however with persistence and determination she made it into the choir and eventually became the choir director at the age of 18!

From then on, encouraged by Alec she continued to get better and in 2003 recorded her first hit song Branama which was a huge success!! It sold 9,000 copies in just three weeks of its release and over two million copies of CDs/VCDs in one month! She also won various awards, got a UN ambassadorship deal, opened a restaurant, Branama Kitchen and there were talks of her even planning a cloth line.


She had four albums to her credit before she died, the first being Branama, Branama 2, A Piece Of Me and Chorus Leader and till her death,she was spreading the perfume of her good music even across the shores of Nigeria.


Lest I forget she also found love again in 2012 despite the scandal of her first marriage and she married Star Fm’s Teddy Don Momoh.



She had so many wonderful songs to her credit and even in death Kefee’s light should continue to shine as most of those songs have deep messages that remain as old as time.


Meanwhile what would you be remembered for when you die because death is inevitable and will surely come but the prayer is that it comes when we are really old like 80 years or even 90!(but what of if it comes before then?)

Let’s keep pondering over this as God continues to give us the grace to take the next breath.

0 Comment " Whose Turn Is It To Die???"

Post a Comment

Thank You For Reading....Your Comments Are Always Welcome!

Thank you for your comments